My friend Jeff Gokee, executive director at partner ministry PhoenixONE, shared this You Tube song with me yesterday. It is written and performed by Christian musician Ben Rector. I had never even heard of the guy until I listened to this song. The plaintive and prayerful plea is to “not let the suburbs kill my soul.” I have done a lot of reading and viewing lately about how suburbia broke down community, broke up America’s cultural oneness and then drove us to independence in radical ways that harm our collective soul. This music strikes me as a haunting challenge to life as I’ve known it my entire adult life. I now pray, “Lord, do not let the suburbs kill my soul.” Tell me what you think when you hear it.
Subscribe to PostsReceive every new post as an email in your inbox.
- Michael Lindsay: Do We All Have to Agree?
- Why Have Some Political Conservatives So Radically Missed the Pope’s Message?
- Following the Visit of Pope Francis to America in September
- Cardinal O’Malley’s Magnificent Address on Unity at Gordon College
- A Reformed Evangelical and Eastern Orthodox Conversation (Video)