My friend Jeff Gokee, executive director at partner ministry PhoenixONE, shared this You Tube song with me yesterday. It is written and performed by Christian musician Ben Rector. I had never even heard of the guy until I listened to this song. The plaintive and prayerful plea is to “not let the suburbs kill my soul.” I have done a lot of reading and viewing lately about how suburbia broke down community, broke up America’s cultural oneness and then drove us to independence in radical ways that harm our collective soul. This music strikes me as a haunting challenge to life as I’ve known it my entire adult life. I now pray, “Lord, do not let the suburbs kill my soul.” Tell me what you think when you hear it.
Subscribe to PostsReceive every new post as an email in your inbox.
- Grace on Watch Out for "Christian Karma"
- Bill ?Boulet on Why Do Churches Not See the Mission Right Next Door?
- Eric on Personal (Non-Scientific) Reflections on Millennials and the Church (Part Two)
- Steve Scott on Personal (Non-Scientific) Reflections on Millennials and the Church (Part One)
- John on Andy Stanley Gets Hammered for Comments on Revival